Ten Reasons To Eat Oatmeal
1. Oats contains a large amount of soluble fiber
Oats contains a large amount of soluble fiber, which effectively lowers blood cholesterol levels. Only 3 grams of fiber a day can help reduce cholesterol levels by 8-23 percent. It is important to note that only a cup of oatmeal contains 4 grams of fiber.
2. Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes
2. According to the research of scientists from Harvard University, the regular consumption of oatmeal reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Scientists came to this conclusion after analyzing the observations of the lifestyle, nutrition and health status of more than one hundred thousand people for 14 years. The study authors have shown that people who regularly ate oatmeal (or brown rice, which is also rich in fiber), rarely sick cardiovascular disease. They also noted that the oatmeal is an excellent food for athletes, especially for breakfast. The results of these studies have been published in the pages of 'JAMA: Internal Medicine'.
3. Oatmeal helps to keep weight under control.
According to studies that have been published in 'Molecular Nutrition & Food Research', oatmeal contains beta-glucans, promotes the release of a hormone in the body neuropeptide cholecystokinin, which causes a feeling of satiety and appetite control, and is an antidepressant.
4. Helps to maintain normal blood pressure
In the 'American Journal of Clinical Nutrition', researchers presented the results of studies that have shown that oatmeal acts on the human body as effectively as drugs that lower blood pressure.
5. Oatmeal has a low glycemic index, stabilizes blood sugar levels.
6. Preventing cancer and cardiovascular disease
Oatmeal is also a rich source of antioxidants that protect our body from free radicals, thereby preventing the development of cancer cells and cardiovascular disease.
7. Preventing colon cancer
Research scientists in the UK and the Netherlands discover that there is a direct link between the consumption of foods rich in fiber and a lower risk of developing colon cancer. It turns out that every additional 10 grams of fiber in our diet to reduce this risk by 10 percent.
8. Oatmeal is a great source of protein and carbohydrates.
According to studies, a serving of oatmeal eaten for 45-60 minutes before training significantly increases its efficiency.
9. Stimulates the immune system
Oatmeal due to the presence in it of beta glucans (effective immunomodulatory agents) stimulates the immune system and increases the body's resistance to infections.
10. Oatmeal for dinner will help those who have trouble falling asleep.
Contained in oatmeal vitamin B6 stimulates the production of serotonin, the lack of which leads to insomnia. In addition, oatmeal stimulates the secretion of melatonin - the sleep hormone.